Thursday, September 9, 2010

Defect Legs FIX

I was going to return the dolls and try to get them replaced, but every local store here is sold out, and I would much rather have the dolls than my money back.
I hope this defect is fixed for future dolls.

I went ahead and tried fixing them myself. I just used some elastic that I've had for a while, and probably not the best. I used two different kinds. The one I used on Lagoona is a lot thinner (close to, if not the thinnest elastic you can get) and the one for Frankie is closer to the width that the dolls aready had which is about 1/4 in.

I didn't think to look into tutorials on restringing until it was brought to my attention after I had already attempted to fix them. I think my attempt was pretty good though, they now have their legs again. Lagoona's legs are more loose than Frankie's, probably because of the thin elastic.
Either way it worked and I was happy with it. I don't know how good I am at explaining this, but I did take several pictures and I hope this comes in handy for someone else who has this problem.
This link was shared with me (honestly I didn't really read it - since I had already fixed mine) but I've been told it is a really good explanation on restringing.

Basicly what I did was take some elastic, string it through one leg loop and knotted it, leaving two long ends, which I then slid through the body and strung it to the other leg loop. I pulled it as tight as I could with the leg in place and the elastic sticking out, knotted it as tight as I could and then cut the excess elastic off and let it pull back into place.
I hope the pictures explain it better than I just tried to.
I used a seam ripper and a curved quilting needle to help in getting the elastic through the legs.
Getting the elastic through the body is not so easy. I used a needle and thread to help get it through.




Here are my dolls, legs missing and all. =[
Photobucket
They just fell off while I was undressing them - so random. I had undressed them before.
Photobucket
I started with Lagoona, used the thinner elastic here and it was much easier to get through the loops.
Photobucket
I knotted it.
Photobucket
Then strung it through the body. Thin elastic was not to hard to get through. NOtice there are two tails of elastic.
Photobucket
I take the longer elastic peice and loop it through the second leg. (I looped it twice since it was thin.)
Photobucket
Then I pulled the elastic tight until her leg came into place, once it was there I pulled on both elastic pieces tight as I could and then knotted it.
Photobucket
After knotting I let it go back into place- This is what it looks like with the elastic tails before being trimmed.
Photobucket
Cut the tails and tada! Fixed. XD
Photobucket
Looks good to me.
Photobucket
Her legs are not as tight as the manufactured stringing. If I had used a thicker elastic (about 1/4in) it would of been just as good. Still it works.
Photobucket

Photobucket
For Frankie I used a 1/2' Elastic cut in half. HOlds the legs better than the elastic I used for Lagoona. When I find the right elastic I'll eventually string them again.
Photobucket
My mind is boggled as to Why Frankie lost her leg. Lagoona's Elastic busted, but Frankie's was in tact. I don't know if you can tell from the picture but the Loop is in tact. I had also dressed and undressed her a few times and it wasn't until weeks later that her leg just fell off when I was changing her outift. Bummer.
Photobucket
So because I went ghetto with this experiment I used Elastic that I cut and so there is lots of fraying, and I'll have to replace it anyway later on, but at least now I know I can do it.
Thicker elastic is much harder to get through the loops. I cut the edges of the elastic into a point to make it easier to manipulate through the leg. You still need a needle or seam ripper or something to help you get it out.

Photobucket
For Frankie I did some stiching instead of knotting on the first leg.
Photobucket

This thicker elastic won't just fit through the body, I used thread and needle to help it along.
Photobucket


One tail of elastic at a time. It's hard to get them both through together.

Photobucket

After you get it through, I did the same thing as before, pulled on the elastic to get the leg into place, once it was there I pulled on both elastic tails tight, knotted it, cut off the excess and let it go back to place.
Photobucket
All fixed. You can't even tell. ^_~
Photobucket
The thicker elastic works better. Frankie's legs are like new.
Photobucket
Now it's time for a boil perm. xD
Photobucket

Thanks for reading and I hope this was helpful to anyone who might have this problem.




18 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I'm worried that my dolls will have problems and I wont be able to replace them, but seeing this makes me feel much more relieved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This is a very helpful visual guide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness. I am so scared that mine are going to break and like Shojo, I won't be able to replace them. I'd be heartbroken! I've never restrung any dolls before, but this makes me feel better and a little more confident that I just may be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice job, and an excellent tutorial. I hate that it'll probably come in handy for many of us Monster High fans - Mattel has a history of not only ignoring known defects, but repeating them. But just looking at your great photos and reading your directions has me confident that I can do it if I need to. I don't wanna send my dolls back to Mattel either - who knows what they'll mail back !

    Thanks - and "Hi !"

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am beyong pissed! i spent alot of money for the whole collectionj for my daughter and theyre falling apart 2 weeks later. wtf!!! hands lost,arms fallin off every monute, now effin legs! come on!!!! i loove these dolls but theyre made poorly. brats r made better! i wanna sue..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good job, I'm going to repost your link. My daughter's fell apart last night after she's had it for a few months and I refuse to buy a new one. Mattel really needs to rethink this leg design, especially if they recommend the doll for 6 and up. I mean, who uses elastic bands to hold leg joints together?? Thanks alot for the fix, now I can calm a distressed 10 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you soooooo much! I have been reading so many online posts sayin "OMG THE DOLL BROKE STRAIGHT AWAY" and worse so now when I eventually gets the dolls I will not cry if they break, because of this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial, I found it via Google, but I do have one minor issue. It seems that the bar that you are attaching the elastic to is what is missing on my child's doll. :(

    She got it for Christmas and sat it up in order to use her as a reference as she drew various pictures of her, but when she stood her back up her leg just popped off! She's super disappointed and it's not like she was being rough with the doll.

    Very poorly constructed, but maybe once I figure out how to put in a new bar, I can easily re-string her legs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!!! My daughter bought one of these with her Christmas money and sure enough two days later the leg came off. She said her friend's sister sewed it. So, not being a seamstress in any way, shape or form, I was able to pretty much attach it the same, but I used this unwaxed thick dental floss and reinforced it. It took me two hours and the tears from my daughters eyes dried, replaced with a twinkle. Thanks for posting this. Now we just got Draculaura and the arm came off. Your supposed to be able to snap it back in, but it won't stay in. Any suggestions????

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for posting this, My gloom beach Cleo doll's leg fell off while taking her out of the package! the elastic ripped, like on your Lagoona doll. I tried stringing it back together with some elastic plastic string, and she couldn't sit up by herself like the other dolls, I will have to try this :3

    ReplyDelete
  11. thankyouthankyouthankyou sooooo much for this!!
    my little sister's frankie lost her legs, and i managed to actually fix them using this! now my sister loves me, and i don't have to lend her money for a new one! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PUXA VIDA OBRIGADA!!!!OBRIGADA MESMO!!!MINHA FILHINHA PODE TIRAR FOTOS AGORA!!!\o/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad this had been helpfull for so many of you!
    I didn't even realize I had so many comments!
    Thanks for reading everyone. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job explaining and the pics are most helpful. My daughter will be eternally grateful for your help and tutorial. Bummer that they break like this, seems common. Off to find my sewing kit and elastic....

    ReplyDelete
  15. thansk my daughters deuce leg fell off no tears or anything jsut magincally fell off the perfect piece of elastc. all bette rnow after we read this and i followed your steps. great help thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you!!! My daughter managed to get this doll at Salvation Army, still in the box. She is 12 and was very excited. The dolls leg fell off and like yours the loop is still intact. I cannot figure out what happened... The newer dolls she has have never had any issues with them so I was surprised. Now I will be able to fix her doll and she will not be so sad anymore!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much! I had no idea that the legs were strung together with an elastic. I have some Create-a-monster starter packs and all the dolls limbs pop on and off and there is no elastic holding the legs together. I assumed that all the Monster High dolls had limbs that popped on and off. I sometimes remove the hands and feet off my dolls to make dressing easier. I shall have to warn my granddaughter that only the feet and hands should ever be removed, as having seen me assemble the create-a-monster dolls, she will probably think that all her dolls can be taken apart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was fantastic. Thank you! My daughter brought her friend's MH doll home for me to repair. Perfect illustrations. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete