Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Scary cool Customs~ Amature

Hey everyone, recently I've been back into trying to customize my own monster high dolls.
When I first learned about Monster high last summer, the series inspired me so much to look into trying to create my own character, based off my username. After I had the character drawn up in my mind, I tried to make a custom doll for her.
I had never before tried it, and needless to say it was ... well not very good.
Though I was still a bit happy with it! I went on a photo frenzy even.


MH OC Catzi Doll by ~Catzilerella on deviantART

I did get a few hate/rude comments.
And sure, there's some truth to the fact that I could of done better on the faceup, I did use sharpie in there.
But this was more of a test run for me, for fun, for whatever. Plus I was squeezing in this crafting while my daughter was asleep and in between other projects.
Yes, hater, your right, I didn't but in as much effort as I could of.
Though I still think the emails were quite ridiculous. It got worse after I did my next custom with a Moxie Teen,
Since I wanted CAtzilerella to be bigger than the MH girls, I thought this base would be great.

I think I did alot better, especially because I didn't have to draw in the eyes and I didn't use sharpies, and that made a big difference. Though I still could of diluted the paint some. Theres always something better that I could of done. But I really loved it.


One of my pets by ~Catzilerella on deviantART

Regardless I still got some pretty harsh comments about how poor my customs were and that I should stop trying. Also that my Character, CAtzilerella was just stupid.
WEll geesh. Harsh.

ON top of the harsh comments on my creativity, I was also getting really frustrated with not being able to find the dolls I wanted anywhere. IT's still frustrating.

I was already way into the BJD dolls by then and slowly I fell away from the fandom.
It wasn't until I was asked to do a few clothing commissions relating Monster HIgh for Halloween that I got back into it. In between my trades and commissions I squeeze some random crafting - for myself. I am so easily distracted. eep!
I used a bald Draculaura as a model for my MH clothing commissions,
I had chopped off the hair a while back hoping to try to re-root, but that task turned out harder than I thought and never got to around to re-rooting this doll. While I had her off the shelf I decided to try to paint her, and ended up with Itsy! My camera is on the fritz so sadly I don't have a really clear picture. Not that my photoskills are that great, but...


Itsy A.K.A Poppywise by ~Catzilerella on deviantART

I gave her acrylic eyes, because I thought it would be easier and look really neat.
However I used a blunt blade and ended up tearing up the vinly. I did the best I could to try to make it work. It was insanely hard to try to get the eyes to stay in place, I eventually got them hotglued in, but in the future if I do this again, I need to try something easier.

My latest custom is Lagoonalei Gill-man! Daughter of the Creature.
The character came to me after I had painted her.


Lagoonalei Gill-Man by ~Catzilerella on deviantART

It's not the look I had in mind when I started painting her, but I"m so happy with how she turned out and the eyes! These are the best Eyes I've drawn yet.
They are a lil creepy but I love it. I want to re-root her hair blue later on, but for now she's working the creepy cool FAux fur wig I made her. I just adore her!
She's sitting right next to me now.

It's been so much fun, I can't wait till I have more time - and the right supplies. I need some MSC, finer and better paint brushes, some paint retarder, gloss....other things I'm sure I don't know about. xD
I think I"ve improved a bit. Either way I love all my customs.

Way to addicted to Monster HIgh,
-Catz


4 comments:

  1. Hi I wouldn't worry about the harsh comments as they come from mainly the morons that can't spell or string a sentence together. If their brains blew up they wouldn't part their fringe. So go on and do your own thing and #$%^ the brain dead haters. When they grow up, they may appreciate the fact that you have to start somewhere, though I seriously doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that's a comment I can appreciate, ^_~
    Thank you.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Play The Scary Maz Game at http://scary-mazegame.net website is not the for weak-hearted, do you have what it takes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Haters are not creative like you. Art is a journey not a destination. Many of us love what you are doing! Please keep posting.

    ReplyDelete